What is a Union Church?
A Union Church is a corporate body of Evangelical Christians of all denominations who have pledged themselves to extend the Kingdom of God. By common consent, the members of a Union Church seek to transcend denominational barriers so that in unity we might glorify the LORD, extend His kingdom and submit to His headship of the Church.
As a Church we believe:
- that the Bible in its original manuscripts is inspired by God. Holy men of God wrote as they were moved, guided and guarded by the Holy Spirit, so that the final product of their writings is the inerrant, infallible Word of God, both plenarily and verbally, and as such, is the final authority in all matters of faith and conduct. (2 Tim 3:16 & 2 Pet 1:20,21)
- in one God (Deut 6:4) eternally existing in three Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, who are Co-equal, Co-eternal and Co-essential. (John 16:7 & 17:1)
- that God created mankind, both male and female, in His own image (Gen 1:27); that sin entered the world through one man, Adam, and, by his fall, through him, all mankind fell from God’s grace, incurring the wages of sin which is death (Rom 5:17-21) and a totally depraved sinful nature. (Rom 7:18, Ps 51:5)
- that Jesus Christ was conceived of the Holy Spirit (Luke 1:35), and born of the Virgin Mary. (Matt 2:20-25) Jesus, in one Person, is at once true God (John 14:9) and true man (Luke 2:52); that He died on Calvary’s cross as a substitutionary sacrifice for our sins, once for all, forever; that all who repent and put their faith and trust in Him, are justified on the grounds of His atoning sacrifice. (1 Pet 3:18, John 3:16, Heb 10:11-18 & 9:24-28 )
- that the Lord Jesus Christ was raised from the dead physically and visibly by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 1:3, Romans 14:9) He ascended into heaven where He presides in the place of honour, with the Father, acting as our High Priest and Advocate. (Eph 1:20-21, Heb 9:11, 1 John 2:1, Acts 2:33, Phil 2:5-11)
- in the personal, physical, visible and imminent return of the Lord Jesus Christ (1 Thess 4:16) to redeem His Church; to consummate history; and judge the ungodly. (2 Thess 1:1-12, Heb 2:3, Heb 9:28)
- in the Person of the Holy Spirit who convicts the world and the unbeliever of sin, righteousness and judgement, He works within the life of the believer to bring about new life that imparts to the believer the Divine nature. (John 3:3-8 & 16:8, 2 Pet 1:2-4 )
- that the Christian life is to be lived victoriously under the power and direction of the Holy Spirit, who is the witness of God in the believer to the fact that he is a child of God, and that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testament are the authoritative Word of God – the final guide and authority in all matters of faith and conduct. (John 3:3-8 )
- that Satan exists as a real spiritual being, created by and subject to God. (Job 1:6) He is the arch-enemy of God; the originator of sin (Gen 3:1); the arch-tempter of humanity; that he now opposes God’s purposes; that God has decreed his and his cohorts’ final defeat on earth and banishment to hell. (Rev 20:10)
- that the Church Universal is that whole company of believers who have repented of their sin and put their faith and trust in Jesus as their personal Saviour and Lord; that the local Church is an expression, in microcosm, of the Church Universal, doing His work, as His body, in the world. (Col 1:18-24)
- that the local Church is any community of believers who gather for worship, instruction from God’s Word and service, under the Lordship of Jesus Christ; that the local Church is subject to the Lord Jesus as Head of His Church; the local Church is committed to discovering and doing the will of God through the instruction of the Word of God.
- the local Church is committed to faithfully observing the ordinances of the Lord Jesus – The Lord’s Supper and Baptism, and is also committed to the carrying out of the Great Commission by means of mission and evangelism, as Christ commanded. (1 Cor 12:13, Eph 1:22-23 & 5:22, Matt 28:19-20)
- that salvation is by grace alone, through faith, without works; but that such genuine saving faith, will always manifest itself in a response of good works, witness and holy living. (Matt 5:20, James 2, Titus 3:5-8)
- that God has appointed a day when He will judge the world in righteousness by Jesus Christ to whom He has given all authority and judgement. (John 5:22,29, Acts 17:31) On that day the fallen angels and all people who have lived on earth will appear before His throne to give an account of their deeds, either good or evil. (1 Cor 6:3, Jude 1:6, Matt 16:27 & 25:31) Those who have been justified by faith and are born again believers will inherit an eternal life of peace, joy and eternal rewards. The unrighteous who do not know God’s salvation will be punished by being excluded eternally from God’s presence, and eternal punishment in hell.
- That a personal confession of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is the essential prerequisite for church membership. (Acts 2:47)